You are a strong woman, which means you need a strong training routine. If it is time to mix up your current workout, try something new and pick up a kettlebell and take it for a swing. Kettlebell exercises for women are fun, targeted workouts that can really end up swinging yourself into shape! Kettlebells are finding themselves in fitness centers across the nation and in major retail stores too, making these workouts easy to fit in at the house or gym.
Swing into Shape with These 5 Kettlebell Exercises for Women
For starters, you’ll need to pick out the perfect Kettlebell for your abilities. The American Council on Exercise, recommends that women begin with a kettlebell between 8 and 15 pounds. Aim to complete 3 sets of 10 reps to get the maximum results of these kettlebell exercises for women.
Swings target your glutes and quads with this enhanced squat.
- Place a kettlebell on the floor and straddle the bell with your feet at hips-distance apart.
- Bend your knees as you lower your hips into a squat. At the same time, keep your back straight but reach down with both hands and grasp the kettlebell’s handle.
- Quickly straighten your legs and with your arms straight, swing the kettlebell up to shoulder height.
- Push your hips slightly forward to finish the movement and squeeze your glutes.
- As the kettlebell begins to lower, sink into the squat again. Let the kettlebell swing underneath you, then quickly stand and swing the kettlebell up for another repetition.
2) Single-Arm Rows
Single-Arm rows target your core and upper body with a row performed from a push-up position.
- In the push-up position, place a kettlebell directly below your right shoulder.
- Grasp the handle with your right hand. Raise the weight off the floor and toward your side by bending your elbow.
- Allow your elbow to raise higher than your back.
- Widen the distance between your feet to provide greater stability.
- Slowly lower the weight and repeat your repetitions on each arm.
3) Russian Twist
The Russian Twist will enhance your core with this modified kettlebell workout for women.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent.
- Contract your abdominals and raise your feet off the floor so you are balancing on your sit bones.
- Hold onto a kettlebell between both hands and in front of your chest. Keep your chest lifted.
- Slowly rotate the kettlebell and your torso to the right.
- Return to center and then rotate to the left. Repeat!
Cleans are a very effective, full body workout.
- Place a kettlebell on the floor and stand with it between your feet. Position your feet at a hips-distance apart.
- Squat to grab the kettlebell with one hand. As you quickly stand, bend your elbow and “clean” the weight to your shoulder.
- The kettlebell should rest on the back of your forearm.
- Reverse the motion and repeat!
5) Goblet Squats
Goblet Squats are a great way to perk up the traditional squat by holding a kettlebell to your chest with your elbows close to your body.
- Squat until your thighs are parallel with the floor.
- Hold for one second and return to the starting position.
Which of these kettlebell exercises for women are your favorite? Tell us in the comments below!